Copy Cat Recipe

Tonight I tried to copy a restaurant recipe that I love. There is a fairly new restaurant in town called Chop N Chicken and they make these yummy concoctions called Chicken Chops (you can see them here: http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/1478650?p=0). They are delish. I tried to make my own version and was only partially successful. Sorry folks, but there is no photo as these were snarffled up too fast (we were starving). Here is the recipe that I used (scaled to one portion).

1/4 C brown rice uncooked (or about 3/4 C cooked)
4 oz cooked chicken, chopped
1/2 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
3 T cooked black beans
1 T avacado, mashed
1 T sour cream
4 T salsa
1 C lettuce, chopped
3 T tomato, chopped

Cook brown rice per package directions and set aside.

Assemble ingredients on a dinner plate in the following order: brown rice, lettuce, chicken, beans, cheese, avacado, salsa, sour cream, tomato. Serve immediately.

This essentially like a Mexican chicken salad with brown rice as a base.

Everyone in my house ate them but they had no pizzaz (tasted almost flat). Perhaps I needed Pico de Gallo instead of salsa for a nice fresh bite or a bit of lemon juice to brighten things up. I think this could be a very good recipe if I can figure out what is lacking. Any thoughts?

BTW, here is the nutritional analysis on one portion as detailed above (from http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php).

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size - 379 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories - 594
Calories from Fat - 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat - 14.0g (22%)
Saturated Fat - 6.1g (31%)
Cholesterol - 107mg (36%)
Sodium - 561mg (23%) (NOTE: I use no salt added salsa, so my sodium amt is much lower)
Total Carbohydrates - 67.0g (22%)
Dietary Fiber - 9.8g (39%)
Sugars - 4.7g
Protein - 50.1g
Vitamin A 19%
Vitamin C 12%
Calcium 22%
Iron 25%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

0 comments:

Post a Comment